"Change Your Mind, Change Your Life With Hypnosis."
Frequently Asked Questions
Common myths and realities about hypnosis.
What is Hypnosis?
- Myth: I will loose control while in hypnosis. Reality: Since you are always aware and conscious during hypnosis you maintain complete control and will only follow suggestions that are acceptable to you.
- Myth: When I am hypnotized I can be made to do things against my will. Reality: First of all, no one can even be hypnotized against their will. You must be 100% cooperative in order for hypnosis to work. Secondly, no one in hypnosis can be made to do anything they would not freely do when in a normal waking state.
- Myth: A hypnotist has magical powers. Reality: A hypnotist is an ordinary person who has specialized training and has mastered the skill of utilizing suggestion to bring about desired results.
- Myth: Only weak-minded people can be hypnotized. Reality: The contrary is actually true. The more intelligent a person is, the easier it is to be hypnotized. Only a small percentage of the population cannot be hypnotized, and most of these are because of mental deficiencies. Anyone of normal intelligence who is willing to follow instructions can be hypnotized and succeed with hypnosis.
- Myth: A hypnotized person is in a trance or is unconscious. Reality: While in hypnosis, you are quite awake and aware, extremely so. You have merely focused your attention to where the hypnotist directs it, and are usually unaware, or less aware of anything else.
- Myth: A person can get stuck in hypnosis. Reality: No one has every been "stuck" in hypnosis. If you were not give the instruction to emerge from hypnosis you would naturally emerge yourself quite easily. And if you were very relaxed you may even drift off to sleep and naturally awake on your own.
- Myth: Deep hypnosis is necessary for good results. Reality: Any level of hypnosis from light to very deep can bring about good results.
Hypnosis is a state of heightened suggestibility and focused concentration, often accompanied by deep relaxation. The definition of hypnosis, according to the US Department of Education Human Services Division, is, "The bypass of the critical factor of the conscious mind, followed by the establishment of selective acceptable thoughts."
What is Hypnotherapy?
Simply stated, hypnosis is a proven and time-tested way to help you achieve your goals, change unwanted behaviors and habits, and make positive changes in your life. The hypnotist guides or coaches the client into a state of mental relaxation and heightened focus (hypnosis) by the use of an induction that then allows positive suggestions (selective acceptable thoughts), to pass more easily into the subconscious and unconscious mind, by bypassing the critical factor of the conscious mind.
Hypnotherapy is a technique using hypnosis that reaches into the subconscious mind for solutions to and treatment of problems (emotional and psychogenic) with which the conscious mind has been unable to deal.
What is Self Hypnosis?
As defined in The Dictionary of Occupational Titles published by The United States Department of Labor: "Hypnotherapist induces hypnotic state in client to increase motivation or alter behavior or alter behavior pattern through hypnosis. Consults with client to determine the nature of problem. Prepares client to enter hypnotic states by explaining how hypnosis works and what client will experience. Tests subjects to determine degrees of physical and emotional suggestibility. Induces hypnotic techniques of hypnosis based on interpretation of tests results and analysis of client's problem. May train client in self-hypnosis conditioning." (079.157.010 - Hypnotherapist; Alternate Title: Master Hypnotist; Alternate Title: Hypnotist.)
Hypnotherapy then, is the use of hypnosis to help you move toward health and wholeness.
Self-hypnosis is simply having the ability to induce, in yourself, a state of heightened suggestibility and focused concentration, often accompanied by deep relaxation. This can be easily taught and you will then have an amazing, life-long skill that can help you achieve goals, get rid of outdated or unwanted beliefs and habits and lead a more focused, healthy, and rewarding life. At Hypnosis Performance Center we teach a form of self-hypnosis that is a "mind-body-spirit" approach called 7th Path. This totally unique approach to self-hypnosis allows you to first get rid of old programming that has been holding your back and then once the "cup as been emptied" you are then shown how to reprogram your mind to achieve the positive end results you desire. Ask us about this exciting skill today!
Can I be hypnotized?
That's easy, the answer is yes! If you want to be hypnotized, anyone of normal intelligence who is willing to follow instructions can be hypnotized and succeed with hypnosis.
Is hypnosis safe?
Absolutely. No one has ever been harmed by experiencing hypnosis. In fact, hypnosis is a normal state of consciousness that you enter many times every day. Have you ever caught yourself daydreaming? How about when driving and you suddenly become aware that you were "thinking" about something other than driving and wonder if you have missed your exit? Have you ever become emotionally involved in a really good movie or book? These are just a few of the many common experiences we have every day where we are naturally entering and emerging from a hypnotic state. Wouldn't it be nice to use hypnosis consciously to achieve some remarkable results in your life?
What can hypnosis help me with?
Hypnosis can help you in just about every area of your life. Do you have fears or phobias? How about anxiety, panic attacks or unreasonable tension and stress? Do you want to do better in sports? Or just get in shape? Do you want to loose weight? How about quit smoking? Want to be able to easily speak in public with little or no fear? Want to get rid of an unwanted habit or behavior? How about developing a new, positive habit or behavior, like something as simple as being nicer to your family members or like developing the ability to focus your mind more easily so you can develop a new business plan for your company. How about managing pain? Natural childbirth? The list just goes on. See below for a further sampling of conditions successfully treated with Hypnosis and Hypnotherapy.
What is a typical hypnosis session like?
A typical hypnosis session consists of:
How long will a typical hypnosis session last?
- Pre talk -- where you learn more about what hypnosis really is and your questions are answered to help you to dispel any remaining fears or misconceptions you might have.
- Pre hypnosis interview -- where you become more comfortable with your hypnotherapist and the issues you want to work on are discussed.
- Induction -- where you are guided into a nice state of hypnosis by the hypnotherapist.
- Direct suggestions -- where you are given positive suggestions relevant to the issue you are working on, that are easily accepted by the subconscious mind, or
- Insight therapy -- where we find the cause of the problem and neutralize it once and for all.
- Emerge -- where you easily and naturally emerge from this nice state of hypnosis.
- Post hypnosis interview -- where you discuss your hypnosis session and get all of your questions answered.
How soon before I can expect change from hypnosis?
Your first session will last from 90 minutes to 2 hours (including filling out any intake forms and watching a 20 minute "what hypnosis is" video. Subsequent sessions normally last about 60-90 minutes.
To effectively deal with most issues requires that you complete the entire hypnotherapy process where we go after the actual cause of your issue or problem and neutralize it. This normally takes from 4-6 sessions.
How long have you lived with this problem? Would you like to finally see and feel some relief?
Remember, thinking determines what you want, but action determines what you get.
So call Ray now and get all of your questions answered or set up an appointment: 612-803-7541
The following is a sampling of conditions or issues successfully treated with Hypnosis and Hypnotherapy:
* Abuse * Addictions * Allergies * Anger * Anxiety * Athletic Performance * Bad Habits * Bed Wetting * Childhood Trauma * Concentration * Confidence * Creativity * Dealing with Divorce & Death * Depression * Eliminate Unwanted Habits & Emotions * Emotional Trauma * Fear of Intimacy * Fears & Phobias * Finding Lost Objects * Fitness, Health & Well-being * Habit Control * Hair Pulling * Impotence & Erectile Dysfunction * Insomnia * Low Self-Esteem * Manage Time * Memory Loss * Migraines * Motivation * Nail-biting * Nausea * Pain Control * Panic Attacks * Personal Development * Personal Transformation * Phobias * PMS * Procrastination * Public Speaking Fears * Relationship * Sales Enhancement * Self Esteem & Confidence * Sexual Inhibitions * Smoking Cessation * Spiritual Growth * Sports Performance & Enhancement * Stress Reduction * Study Habits * Teeth Grinding * Test Taking * Weight Loss and Maintenance * Writer's Block *
Contact us for help today!
Return to top of page
Ray Stiles, BA, CH, CTC
~National Guild of Hypnotists
Certified Master Hypnotist & 5-PATH & 7th Path Hypnotherapist
~Banyan Hypnosis Center for Training & Services, Inc.
Certified Therapeutic Coach TM & Master NLP Practitioner
~The Meta Institute
"Thinking Determines What You Want, Action Determines What You Get."
Web Hosting & Design
E-Mail Ray Stiles
Copyright © 1994 - Ray Stiles, Certified Master Hypnotist, Hypnosis Performance Center. All rights reserved.
Providing hypnosis and hypnotherapy services in the Minneapolis & St. Paul, Minnesota area.